United Nations Environment Programme
- UNEP Releases Papers on Bioenergy Sustainability, 25 October 2010 by IISD Reporting Services: "The UN Environment Programme (UNEP) has published a series of four Issue Papers on bioenergy sustainability, aiming to inform decision makers on debates and emerging issues in this policy area, as well as options for improving the sustainability of the production and consumption of bioenergy."
- "The first paper presents potential socioeconomic and environmental challenges related to land use, land use change, and bioenergy....The second paper looks at the confluence of bioenergy and water, highlighting how bioenergy production interacts with water quality, efficiency of water use, and research gaps."
- "The third paper looks at risks, including biodiversity impacts, of introducing potentially invasive species as bioenergy feedstocks, and the fourth at the importance of incorporating stakeholder engagement in bioenergy planning, as well as methods to do so. The Issue Papers were presented on the sidelines of the 10th meeting of the Conference of the Parties (COP 10) to the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD), in Nagoya, Japan."
- Impacts of Global Biofuel Boom Remain Murky, 16 October 2009 by Scientific American: A U.N. Environment Programme "report concludes that so-called lifecycle assessments must go beyond calculating greenhouse gas emissions and consider how agricultural production of feedstocks affect the acidification and nutrient loading of waterways."
- "'From a representative sample of [lifecycle] studies on biofuels, less than one third presented results for acidification and eutrophication, and only a few for toxicity potential (either human toxicity or eco-toxicity, or both), summer smog, ozone depletion or abiotic resource depletion potential, and none on biodiversity,' it adds."
- "The study is the second major report this month calling for greater research on the environmental effects of producing ethanol and other renewable transportation fuels."
- UNEP website
- UNEP Bioenergy Issue Papers:
- UNEP's International Panel for Sustainable Resource Management.
| Companies | Industry organizations | International organizations | Non-governmental organizations (NGOs) | Research organizations|
What is bioenergy? | Benefits/Risks | Who is doing what?