Policies related to biofuels
|The BioenergyWiki is no longer being actively updated.|
- Malaysia: The Biofuel Industrial Bill is a draft law that will regulate the biodiesel industry in Malaysia. It will empower the Malaysian Palm Oil Board (MPOB) "to issue and revoke biodiesel production and export licences, enable all vehicles in the country to use palm oil-based biodiesel, set a ceiling price, as well as direct petrol stations to sell the green oil to consumers."
The countries of the European Union collectively import a large quantity of biofuels, such as palm oil from Southeast Asia. The EU has a number of policies related to biofuels, including a target for renewable energy sources to reach 20% of overall EU energy consumption by 2020. The European Biofuels Directive (2003/30/EC), (May 2003) set a target of 2% biofuels by 2005 (which was not met) and a target of 5.75% biofuels by 2010. For more information, see the BioenergyWiki page on EU policies on biofuels.
- Individual countries in Europe also have significant biofuels-related policies, including The Transport Biofuels Act of the Netherlands and the Renewable Transport Fuel Obligation (RTFO) of the United Kingdom.
|European Union policies on biofuels||edit|
| European Biofuels Directive (2003)|
Countries: The Netherlands: The Transport Biofuels Act | United Kingdom: Renewable Transport Fuel Obligation
- Is biofuel policy harming biodiversity in Europe?, Eggers, et al., February 2009, GCB Bioenergy Vol 1, Issue 1, pp 18-34.
- The authors assessed the potential impacts of biofuel policy on biodiversity in Europe.
- National Program of Biodiesel Production and Use (PNPB)
Click on the links in the box below or see the main page: United States policy.
|United States Policy||edit|
|Federal policies: Renewable Fuel Standard | Energy Policy Act of 2005 (P.L. 109-58) | Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 | Biomass Research and Development Act of 2000 | Farm Bill |
|Policies by region: EU policy | US policy (Obama Administration) | G8 policy | UK policy (Gallagher Review)|
Position papers (CSIS Report, Tropical Forest and Climate Unity Agreement)
What is bioenergy? | Benefits/Risks | Who is doing what?